Header AD

Pres. Duterte Approves Proposed 7-Year Rehabilitation of Manila Bay


The pursuit to save Mother Nature goes on under the Duterte administration. Previously, the President has called for the closure of the Boracay Island which is one of the top tourist destinations in the Philippines.

Department of Budget and Management (DBM) secretary Benjamin Diokno revealed on Tuesday that President Rodrigo Duterte approved the budget for the rehabilitation of Manila Bay.


In a statement, Diokno said that during the Cabinet meeting the other day, Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) secretary Roy Cimatu presented to the President the problem of Manila Bay and recommended its rehabilitation.

A six-month rehabilitation was implemented on Boracay and it was spearheaded by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).


Currently, Boracay Island is now open again but there are a lot of changes like the number of people that it can accommodate and the implementation of stricter environmental rules.

The Budget secretary noted that the President approved of the proposal and allotted P47 billion for the bay’s rehabilitation, noting that the fund will be used to clean waterways that lead to Manila Bay and for the relocation of informal settlers.

WATCH:


But Diokno stressed that the P47-billion allocation is still subject to the annual programming of the government’s budget.

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo, on the other hand, said that additional funding will be allocated from the road user’s tax.
Pres. Duterte Approves Proposed 7-Year Rehabilitation of Manila Bay Pres. Duterte Approves Proposed 7-Year Rehabilitation of Manila Bay Reviewed by ­ on January 08, 2019 Rating: 5